Skip to main content

Office of Student Conduct

Alcohol and Drug Policy

Campus and local police will enforce all Washington State laws pertaining to drugs and alcohol, and the Office of Student Conduct will follow procedures outlined in Standards of Conduct for Students (WAC 504-26) when violations occur. Students of legal age who choose to drink alcoholic beverages are expected to do so responsibly and according to the policies and regulations of their living environment (i.e., residence halls, Greek residences, campus apartments, etc.).

Students may not:

  1. Distribute alcohol to anyone under the age of 21.
  2. Drink or possess alcohol if under the age of 21.
  3. Drink or possess alcohol regardless of age if alcohol is prohibited at the location.
  4. Use, manufacture, or possess drugs (marijuana, narcotics, or other controlled substance) and drug paraphernalia (pipes, bongs, scales, cigarette papers, etc.).
  5. Drink alcohol at a sponsored event on any University property without an alcohol license or banquet permit.
  6. Over-consume alcohol or be intoxicated in public.

If you are under the age of 21 or are in a location that prohibits all alcohol or drugs regardless of age (including residence hall rooms, shared areas in residence halls, Greek houses that are alcohol-free), if alcohol or drugs are present, leave the area immediately. Any person present may face disciplinary actions from the University and/or local police. Even if you just walked in the room, the alcohol and/or drugs isn't yours, you did not drink any alcohol or use any drugs, and/or you are completely sober, you may still be held accountable for violating University Policy.

Remember you are accountable to the Standards of Conduct whether you are on campus or off campus and during University breaks.

Use of alcoholic beverages in residence halls and all recognized group living areas

All students recognize that their presence during an alcohol/drug violation subjects them to disciplinary action. If students find themselves in a situation where alcohol/drug policy violations are occurring, they should immediately leave.

Students of legal drinking age and their legal-aged guest(s) may possess and consume alcohol in the privacy of their own room if alcohol is permitted in that location. The door to the room must be closed at all times.

Alcohol is prohibited in restrooms, corridors, study rooms, lounges, or any other public areas inside or outside the building.

Kegs or bulk alcoholic beverages are prohibited.

Students must comply with “No Alcohol” policies if established for floors, living groups, and/or designated residence halls.

Use of marijuana and other controlled substances

The use, possession, manufacture, or distribution of marijuana and other controlled substances anywhere on campus is prohibited by federal law, and is a violation of the Standards of Conduct.

Medical marijuana use is also prohibited on campus, including in campus housing. All questions regarding the reasonable accommodation of medical conditions, including conditions treated with medical marijuana, should be directed to the Access Center at 509-335-3417.


Individuals are responsible for the behavior of their guests. In cases where the guests of residents become unruly or violate University and organized living group policies, the resident host will be held accountable. University or Pullman police may be utilized in the confrontation of guests and other nonresidents who are disruptive or otherwise in violation of University policies.

Fraternity and Sorority Social Policy

All fraternities and sororities which house freshmen must be alcohol-free.

Fraternities and sororities must comply with Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic social policies and procedures outlined for social functions, as well as with FIPG policies.

Members are required to be in compliance with their national or international regulations regarding alcohol consumption.

Alcohol consumption is prohibited entirely during ANY social event on chapter property. All social events on chapter property must be alcohol free.

Alcohol consumption on chapter property, if permitted at all, is prohibited for students under the legal drinking age and is restricted to the private rooms of students 21 years of age or older. Fraternities must review their Fraternal Organization Agreements and the Alcohol-Free House Agreement to know whether their fraternity is permitted to have alcohol on chapter property.

All off-property social functions where alcohol is present require a third-party vendor to serve alcohol, provide security, and verify legal age.

All event co-sponsors will be held equally responsible for policy compliance.

The social policy will remain in effect throughout the calendar year, including breaks and summer for chapter houses while occupied by chapter members.

Alcoholic Beverages at Concerts or Athletic Events

Consumption or possession of alcohol in public areas of any University-owned or controlled property is prohibited except when those who are 21 years of age or older are participating in a sponsored event for which there is an alcohol license or banquet permit.

University and Community Alcohol and Substances Abuse Resources

Resources to assist students with any problems associated with alcohol or substance abuse are listed on the Office of Student Conduct website:

The Office of Student Conduct (509-335-4532) can answer any questions pertaining to the Standards of Conduct and drug and alcohol use.